Spiced baked apples with walnuts and cranberries is a very quick and easy fall treat. Delicious fall apples are baked with cinnamon, cardamom, and ginger. It even makes the house smell good!
Wondering what to do with all those fall apples? This is an easy and flavorful way to use them! The cranberries add a wonderful tartness, and the walnuts add a crunch. The spices bring in the warm, cozy feeling of fall.
If you make this with sweet apples, you may not need any added sugar. I’ve made this with sweet Fuji apples and didn’t add any sugar and it was delicious!
Ingredients & Substitutions
- Apples: Some friends gave me Golden Delicious and Granny Smith apples from their trees, so I used a combination of both types. Usually, I make this with Fuji or even Honeycrisp if I can find them. You can use any apples you prefer or have on hand.
- Dried cranberries: Sometimes I use unsweetened cranberries, but they’re more difficult to find and more expensive, so I used sweetened cranberries in this recipe.
- Walnuts: I love walnuts with apples, but other nuts would be just as delicious. Try almonds, pecans, pistachios, whatever you like!
- Butter: I used unsalted butter, but if you’d like to add some saltiness to this dish you can use salted butter.
- Brown sugar: I used light brown sugar, but dark brown sugar or maple syrup would be delicious too! If you’re using sweeter apples, you may want to leave the sugar out.
- Cinnamon, ginger and cardamom: This spice combo goes so well with apples. Cardamom is a very popular spice in Nordic cuisine.
- Water: To add a little moisture when baking.
How to Make Spice Baked Apples with Walnuts and Cranberries
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, heat the butter until it melts.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the bowl and mix together. Make sure the butter and spices coat everything.
- Transfer everything to an 8 x 8-inch baking dish.
- Bake for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add more water 1-2 Tbsp at a time if needed.
- Serve warm. Top it with ice cream or whipped cream to make it an extra special treat!
How to Serve Spiced Baked Apples with Walnuts and Cranberries
- I like to eat these right out of the bowl either for breakfast or dessert.
- Serve warm with a scoop of ice cream on top.
- As a side or topping for my Danish breaded pork patties (karbonader) recipe.
- Pair it with my Swedish rice porridge (risgrynsgröt) recipe for a fall or holiday treat.
- It’s an amazing topping for oatmeal, waffles or my rice porridge pancakes (klatkager)!
How to Store Spiced Baked Apples with Walnuts and Cranberries
Store these in an air-tight container or a bowl with plastic wrap in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. I usually reheat them in the microwave for 30 seconds to 1 minute on high. The time will vary depending on your microwave. You can also reheat in the oven at 350°F for 10-15 minutes.
More Apple Recipes You’ll Love
- Turkey Apple Sage Breakfast Sausage Patties
- Apple Jalapeño Chutney
- Applesauce Spice Cake with Caramel Icing
Spiced Baked Apples with Walnuts and Cranberries
- 1 lb apples, cored and chopped (about 4 medium apples)
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 2 Tbsp packed brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground cardamom
- 2-4 Tbsp water
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, heat butter until it melts.
- Add remaining ingredients to the bowl and stir to coat.
- Transfer to an 8 x 8-inch baking dish.
- Bake 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add more water 1-2 Tbsp at a time if needed.
- Serve warm. Top with ice cream or whipped cream if desired.